Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 177: Distant

There are many things that happen when you distance yourself from a thriving, living community. For me, the biggest thing is discouragement; a rapid decline in my ability to distinguish not only what is right, but what is right for me at any given time.

Before Easter, I missed church about three times. I was either out of state, or sick, but just that distance was enough to create within me an emptiness that sought to rob me of joy. Being apart from a community that is passionately in love with Jesus, even just for a few weeks, was painful.

And I was surprised how deep the pain was.

I felt like I was grasping for Jesus, but when you don't surround yourself with people living out what He has commanded, lines blur and sometimes the irrelevant takes center stage in your life.

I was worrying about so many things that warranted, and deserved, no real thought. It's amazing what we make into gods when we feel far away from the creator.

All of this to say, I am so happy that when these feelings overwhelm me, I can look to what God has done in the past and trust that He will bring me back into the fold, and back into community. I was encouraged just stepping into the downtown scene tonight because a living community is a beautiful thing.

When we opened the scriptures to learn about Jesus, and how people suffered for the gospel, I felt alive again, knowing that God had me in that exact moment for that exact purpose.

He is so beautiful, and He loves those who seek to follow Him and live for Him.

What a wonderful savior.


In Christ,

Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment