Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 178: The Chasing Game

Today at church we started a new series in Philippians. If you're familiar with this epistle, or letter, from Paul to those in Philippi, you may be aware that it is so often called the letter that exudes joy in the midst of suffering. And this suffering is not a general suffering, but persecution for blatantly spreading the truth that Jesus Christ is Lord, not any man, or Caesar, etc.

BUT, as we went through the various historical pieces that play a huge part in this role, it was the ending questions that really caught my heart when we headed into prayer, and communion. One question in particular spoke to me, in both conviction and explicit wonder. The question was simple:

What are you chasing after?

Instantly, I wanted to put my hand in the air and proclaim “Jesus.” But, I know first hand that God doesn't appreciate lying. And I didn't want to be a liar.

In my life, I have pursued many things, and I have made many things into “gospels,” like we talked about in church. I have proclaimed the good news about love, and dead end romances. I have proclaimed the news of fashion, and materialism, and the other capitalistic ventures that make me a good American.

I have lived for so many gospels that bring nothing but death. But I want the one that brings me life, and life abundant.

I'm realizing that lately, I have chased two things: meaning for my life via a job, or occupation, that lines up with what I want to do with the rest of my life, and a relationship that I had a different vision for than what it currently is.

These two things that I have chased have overwhelmed my life entirely at different moments, but also have brought joy to my life. I have seen God's hand in both of them, but I have also seen my own selfish hand in there trying to make things happen that simply couldn't.

When John Mark asked this question tonight, I knew that I couldn't lie...I had been living for other gospels, and chasing after things that weren't always of God.

I need His discipline, and I need His love to remind me that when I chase after Him, I am not only chasing after what is good, holy, and right, but I am chasing after what is TRUE.

I want to worship the Lord that has given me life, grace, mercy, truth, and love, not the gods that I fashion out of my own desires.

I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I want Him to be in charge of my life.

Lord, let me chase after you with all of my heart. Meet me with open arms, I pray.


In Christ,

Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment