Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 138: Servant = Hot & Holy!

In the past, when I've had crushes on people, or felt myself becoming interested in someone, I would causally mention it to my friends. They would react typically: giggle, want me to spill how I was feeling, and generally support me, even when sometimes I wonder why they did.

These days, I am in the presence of women who sincerely ask me:

Why?

Why do you like this man? What is it about him that has drawn you to him? What is it in his character that you find irresistible?

Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Yeah, they get deep.

And with all of these questions, my mind spun, as I was used to my other friends and their blind acceptance of my mindless crushing.

For the first time, I was being challenged to really examine why I liked someone, instead of the mere surface feeling of it all. I was being forced to really look at what it was about a man's character that would catch my attention.

And, with this challenge from my friends, I discovered that it is far easier to not have a crush on someone when you think in these terms. Sure, he is incredibly attractive, and is really nice, but how does he act when he is stressed out? How does he act when others are having a hard time?

How is he involved with helping humanity to flourish?

All these thoughts plagued my mind as I wrestled with what was truly important to me. And, at the center of it all (in complete agreement with my close friend that I was discussing this with), I came to the conclusion that at the heart of it, I am drawn to men who serve.

The capacity isn't necessarily a specific service, but to me it seems that a man who is willing to serve is also one that I wouldn't mind following and supporting in his mission. He also seems to be the man who would serve me on my mission as well, as we move toward the shared vision that we have.

And, if Jesus is irresistible to you, then this would make complete sense, because he came not to be served, but to serve. So, naturally, a man who serves is seeking to be like the God who made him, and to live faithfully in that image.

A servant is one who is selfless, and willing to lay down everything they have to do, in order to help someone else.

This isn't common, but it's beautiful.

And, although I discussed in my last blog that I don't believe I am anywhere near being in a relationship, I am satisfied knowing that I have a new found confidence in what I respect in a man, and what I admire most.

And, as I fall in love with my servant king, I pray that he shapes me into the same kind of servant that I so desperately hope to find in whoever he has for me.

Because there's nothing like two hearts that both beat to serve, and love Jesus.


In Christ,


Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment