Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 136: The Word

“So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness.” john 1:14
“Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise...” Colossians 3:16

The bottom line is that I'm not in the Word enough. Nowhere near enough, nowhere near what I should be. I am a wreck so often, and the solution is so simple. Am I seeing what God has to say about this...what He has to say about that? What He has to say about my thought life? How he feels when I act out my selfish desires?

Everything is grounded in the word. And, because of this, I wonder why it's so hard for so many of us, myself definitely included, to see that it is life giving. I feel like a huge struggle for many people I talk with is the issue of reading the bible enough. For me, this struggle is rooted in the fact that so often I feel like I know what God says in His word about many things, and so I lose a hunger for the very food I should be living off of.

I have seen my errors, and somewhat learned from them, but I still desire a more intimate want of the word. I know that it is a two edged sword, powerful and strong, but sometimes I just treat it like a book, like an inanimate object that is fortunate enough to be in my life.

And isn't that sometimes how we treat God?

I feel like it's very possible to tell someone's heart for God based on how they feel about his word, and how actively they are pursuing it. Chances are, if you're not pursuing his word and what he has to say, you're probably not really pursuing Him, either.

I'm not trying to chastise anyone, or call anyone out, and if I was, I would be the first person on my list. But, really, when it comes down to it, those people that you see who are so head over heels in love with God, are firmly rooted in his word. They are the people who pray out of the word, and who are so quick with a timely word from the Lord.

And I also believe that going to the word is the quickest way to come to the feet of Jesus. Raw, unfiltered, the bible tells the very real stories of our lives, and elaborates on our need for redemption, and a savior.

God is showing me that when I feel far away from Him, I am generally far from his word, and lost in whatever shiny thing the world has dangling before me.

I don't want to be caught up in the shimmer of this world.

I need to be caught up in the hope, and truth, of His word.


In Christ,


Lilia


No comments:

Post a Comment