Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 126: For Freedom

I talk such a big game about urging women to remember their worth. I am the first to point out a woman's value in Jesus, and am deeply saddened when I see women treated badly, or in situations that cause them to lose hope or feel neglected in who they are as people.

Only now am I realizing that I am struggling with this very problem.

In my journey to discover what true femininity looks like, in God's eyes, I assumed naively that this meant I must completely eradicate who I am. After all, who would want to marry a woman who speaks her mind, or who is sometimes sassy, or who can....gasp, do things on her own?!

At first I thought I was just becoming more of a servant, but then I realized that I was letting people come in to my life and use me for whatever purposes they had. In retrospect, I realized that I was looking at it as a lesson in learning what it meant to be selfless, and to try and help people as much as possible. But, I'm slowly catching on to the fact that just because I am trying to be selfless, gentle, obedient, vulnerable, etc, doesn't mean that I need to equate these ideas with weakness.

I can be strong and gentle, well spoken and obedient, stable and vulnerable.

I can recognize my worth in Christ, and not be someone's rag doll that they take their mental frustration out on.

Lately, I have been that girl. The one who can kiss all of the bad things away (sometimes literally), but only when needed and wanted.

I am not that woman.
I want to pour out and be poured into, spoken to and listened to, appreciative and appreciated.
It was for freedom that He set us free, and I need to live like that.


In Christ,
Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment