Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 99: A Kind Heart

There is something so beautiful about kindness.

Whether you see it between lovers, friends, or strangers, a genuine act of kindness is one of the most incredible sights to behold.

I think part of that beauty stems from its rarity.

In our world, kindness often seems to be a commodity. It's something that we tend to use in order to gain something else. It's something we sometimes sell in hopes of receiving praise or even adoration.

In many ways, it has become a means to an end.

But, for some, it is their natural bent in life. When they are kind, they aren't doing it for themselves, or for any reward. They aren't being kind because they feel like they need to, or because they are looking for acceptance.

No. These people are kind because it is how they are made.

Amazing, and a gift from God.

When I encounter people with this innate gift, I am always in awe and completely encouraged. The best part is that true kindness is often paired with humility. After all, if being humble means not thinking of yourself at all, it completely blends with being kind. Both of these require the value of putting someone before yourself.

I speak on this because tonight I had the chance to chat with one of the most kind people I know. The great thing is that we haven't known each other long, but I can literally feel the kindness radiating from her.

From time to time, I wonder about this blog. I wonder if it really matters, or if people can relate to it. I know that God has called me to creating, and maintaining, it, but it's so easy to become discouraged.

Tonight, I talked to this incredibly sweet and kind woman, and out of nowhere she took the conversation to my blog. She let me know how she thought it was great, and had been reading it ever since I first showed it to her.

I was incredibly moved. I love when God teaches me how to live through the simple actions of people in my life. He knows just what I need.

Here was this woman that I barely know, showering me with kind words. I was uplifted, encouraged, and humbled.

This is what kindness does.

And all she was doing was being who God has made her to be.
All she was doing was being herself.


In Christ,


Lilia

p.s. I get to have coffee sometime soon with this kind lady...excited!



No comments:

Post a Comment