Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 100: Something Kinda Crazy

Today I did a crazy thing.

For most followers of Jesus, I'm sure it's normal...nothing out of the ordinary. But for me, it was a step forward in my own walk with Jesus.

If you know the Lord, and have spent any significant time with me, you have probably prayed with me. Whether it was before eating a meal, or in a time of great joy or stress, chances are you have experienced the presence of God with me. It's normal. It's what we do as disciples.

Today, I stepped away from my usual circle...all of you who are so gracious to pray with me, and all of you who know the Lord and know that He not only hears our prayers, but that He listens.

Today, I asked a coworker if I could pray for her.

I was scared at first. She was having a hard day, mostly because of medical issues, and as I listened to her story and watched her tears fall, I felt terrible. There is nothing like seeing someone suffer while knowing there is nothing you can do about it. So, as I listened, I felt a desire to pray for her. It welled up within me, but my mind downplayed it. I thought to myself, “this is a coworker you barely know...she is going to be weirded out...just pray for her on your own time.”

But, I stepped out anyway and managed to ask her if I could pray for her.
And she said yes!

So there, in the middle of the Banana Republic break room, I prayed for healing, reassurance, patience, and peace for my coworker. I could hear her still crying while it was all happening, but there was a sense of relief, of knowing that someone cares enough to do this.

After I prayed I didn't launch into an entire biography of Jesus. I didn't walk her through the sinner's prayer. I just listened to her for a little longer until she left to go to the hospital.

And I realized that this is what Jesus wants from us, and wants from me.

Sometimes He just wants us to show His love to others, even in the smallest ways.

So go out and pray for people, if they're hurting or if they are rejoicing. Pray with them, for them, and over them, if they let you.

We will spread the gospel by first living it out.


In Christ,


Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment