Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 64: Do All You Can, And Then Love

It feels good to know that you've done your best.

After a tough basketball game, or a round of policy debate (I loved being an nerthlete in high school, you know, one that is both a nerd and an athlete), I loved knowing that no matter what the outcome, I gave everything I had.

Today, I felt that way again, but on a much bigger scale...on a grown up scale.

The downside was that it was difficult, heart-wrenching, and something I didn't want to leave in someone else's hands.

As I was driving to work, I finally connected (via handsfree blue tooth, of course) with one of my friends who is going through a divorce. My friend neglected to tell me, and so I had to find out from the other party (of whom I am also friends with). I was devastated for them, somewhat because I was there from the beginning of their relationship, and watched it unfold, but mostly because I know that God's heart is for marriage, and not against it.

I was also incredibly hurt that my friend hadn't said anything to me. I've known this person for almost six years, yet I received nothing.

So we talked, and I said my peace about what I knew to be true, which is what God says in His word about love, about marriage. His heart for marriage is like His heart for what His son did on the cross. Marriage is about sacrifice, and like Jesus sacrificed himself and his desires for us, his bride, we are called to do the same for the one who we give our vows too.

I'm not married, and I claim no experience, but that doesn't mean that the truth isn't obvious in God's love letter to us, the bible.

And my friend listened, and apologized, and I accepted because I have been forgiven by God for everything I have done. As I noted in an earlier blog, it's easy to forgive when you remember how much you have been forgiven...

So, going back to what I started this blog with...I feel like I've done all that I can, and although the situation is terrible, I feel good. Free will is something that God gave us, and isn't something that we should take away from one another. However, we are called to keep each other accountable when we take a path that seems to jeopardize what we have with Christ...so, today, I did that. I spoke what God put on my heart, and now I will live with it. 

And so will my friend.

God is teaching me to value His word, even when others don't, and to be willing to bring truth to someone, in love, when they need it.  And, though I have spoken in disagreement of my friends decision, my love for my friend has not, and will not ever, diminish.

I love my friend with all the love that God has given me, and I will be there for my friend no matter what happens because God calls us to love unconditionally, and forever.

In other words, do all you can...and then love.


In Christ,


Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment