Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 57: There Is A Place


When I first came to Oregon, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew I was stepping out of everything “normal” to me, yet I was so excited to be on my own. But, of course, there was always a desire to be somewhere that I felt comfortable, surrounded by people who knew me. I was blessed to find that in my friends that I made early on, and at the house of my dear friend Kristen, whose amazing family still invites me to Thanksgiving dinner even though we've been out of college for a few years.

These are the people who keep me grounded, and rooted in love.
What a blessing.

But, my friends have grown, gotten married, had children, and essentially moved on. Not in a bad way, but in a natural progression that my life hasn't taken yet. And, I can't go to Klamath Falls whenever I want, so of course it's disappointing to also miss out on that “family” that I have there.

Recently, I found a family in Haiti, and have been so blessed by each of them in my life. It's rare to connect with people so quickly, and to know that I could call on any of them for prayer or...anything, really.

But, tonight, a new “place” was cemented in my mind. In a warm living room, on cozy chairs and couches, I spent the night at the house of Mark and Brenda Mavromatis for a small get together for our friend, Chris, who is heading to Haiti in January.

I have been going to Mark and Brenda's house-church for about four months, and only when I wasn't working, so maybe only a handful of times. But, I immediately felt that feeling of family, that feeling of being comfortable.

I found another place, and the best part is that God completely led me there.

There is a place, now, that I know I can share my burdens and be refreshed by brothers and sisters. I know that Mark will share his wisdom and humor, and that Brenda will always have a word of encouragement for me, coupled with her own wisdom, and hugs!

I am not alone in this blessing, as I know that so many people have been poured into by these two. But, I'm so happy to know them. And, not only are they a blessing, but so are the people of our house-church. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't been there long, but I feel like I have.

And that is what the family of God is, after all. We are the Church, with a capital C. It goes beyond a place because the church lives in relationships with God and each other.

There is a place where I have found comfort, fellowship, and family.

I am refreshed, and I couldn't thank God more.



In Christ,


Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment