Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 38: For the Glory of God


I almost didn't go to church tonight.

I was sick, tired, and just lazy. I thought about just reading my bible with a big cup of tea and it sounded amazing. But, just as I was seriously thinking about it, my roommate Kelsey said, “go to church,” and I jumped to it.

And, as usual, I was so blessed by it.

Not only did I get to sit by a couple of friends, but I also made a couple new ones, caught up with one amazing young woman of God, and saw a bunch of other friends throughout. I even got to hug two of my Haiti and house church brothers :) It's a blessing when God connects you with a family because you have a sense of never being alone, and that encouragement is a serious gift from the Lord.

Tonight, Phil taught on Matthew 6: 1-18, focusing on three main concepts: giving, praying, and fasting. To sum up the entire sermon, the aim of Jesus' teaching here is that we are to give, pray, and fast not to impress others, or ourselves, but for the glory of God. The biggest thing I took away from tonight was Phil's constant reminder that one of God's names is El Roi, meaning God that sees.

When we give, God can see if we are drawing attention to ourselves or if we are truly giving to bless someone else. God can also see us when we're praying, and if our prayers are intentional and meaningful or if they are grand, yet empty. And, of course, when we are fasting, he can see how we display our bodies...if we continue on with our lives, or if we draw attention to ourselves through our hungry and gaunt appearances.

We are who we truly are when we are alone. And that is the way that we need to act when we are with other people. God is teaching me that He sees everything that I do, as well as my motivation and intent behind my actions. It's a good thing to remember that God looks at the attitude behind the action because it will help us to keep ourselves accountable.

Jesus is calling us to be different from the pharisees, who set their worth on what people thought of them. We are to be concerned with what God thinks of us, especially because He can always see us and who we truly are.

He knows our hearts, so be open and honest.

When you give, give for the glory of God.
When you pray, pray for the glory of God.
When you fast, fast for the glory of God.


In Christ,



Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment