Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 165: The Greatest Teacher



I'm almost a quarter of a century old, and I think that maternal instinct is starting to kick in.

It's not that I want to have children right now, by any stretch of the imagination, especially since that would require having a husband, which would first require having a boyfriend, which would first require actually being interested in someone.

But I think, as I look at my life, that there's so much vested in the future that I can't help but think what that future would look like if I had created it myself.

It's made me see life as the gift it is.

Every day, I get to be in a position to positively affect the youth, and future, of our society. And, on most days, I'm okay with that. But, sometimes, it's easy to get caught up in the hype that so many people surround young people with today.

They're lazy; they're entitled...blah, blah, blah; I even catch myself rambling these things.

But, truth is, so was I...so am I.

There is a fine line between correction and criticism, as well as love and infatuation. Instead of constantly criticizing, we need to be willing to correct. And, instead of pandering to our children, and becoming infatuated with what they think of us, we need to love them with kindness AND discipline.

Lately, I've been thinking of this a lot in regards to coaching. Do my kids know that I am hard on them because I love them? Do they know that I correct them to make them better? Do they know we run because we need a reality check?

If I can answer yes to those questions, than my job is done. Yes, sometimes I have to be the bad guy. And, yes, sometimes they won't like what I have to say. But in the end, when they are better for it, my job will be complete, and both of us will reap the benefits.

And how do we remember to stay humble, pour out, and correct in love?

The cross.

Yes!

Jesus is always at the forefront...in church AND every other part of our lives, like lacrosse.

He was the greatest teacher who ever lived, and I keep learning so much every day.


In Christ,


Lilia





No comments:

Post a Comment