Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 140: Healing

 “Who touched Me?” Luke 8:45
And wherever He went, He healed people of every sort of disease and illness. He felt great pity for the crowds that came, because their problems were so great and they didn't know where to go for help...” Matthew 9:35-36

I rarely think of God as a Physician, even though he is referenced as the great Physician and shows the power of His healing through Jesus. In my life, I have been fortunate enough to be rather healthy. I was raised in a home where I never had to go hungry, and for the most part I was raised in a mentally healthy environment.

I am incredibly blessed.

And so when I see other people who have not had the same experiences as me, it is hard for me to comprehend why. I know that God is good, and that suffering produces perseverance, but sometimes I wonder why people suffer the way that they do. But I've seen, and heard, from people who have been faithfully healed that they recognize God in the mess and in the brokenness of our lives.

And that is encouraging.

As I go through the motions of day to day life, I have never stopped to think how I need to be healed. I guess I see healing as something radical, like making the lame walk, and the blind see. I look for massive miracles, instead of looking inside of myself to see the ugly that needs to be fixed.

It's hard to break open the rib cage to poke at the heart below it. It's messy, and it hurts, but when I see others reach inside themselves I am encouraged to do the same.

God is showing me that it is okay to ask for healing, and to ask for healing in anything. It doesn't have to be something huge and grand. It can be as simple as praying when my lower back is in pain, or when my heart hurts because of the way someone said something to me.

God is in the business of healing whatever is broken in our lives, and so we need to examine what it is that we need fixed.

I need to look and see what I'm holding back from His grace.

I'm afraid of what I will find, but wait in expectation of true healing.


In Christ,


Lilia




No comments:

Post a Comment