Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 117: How We Love

As long as I can remember, I've been fond of Valentine's day. Perhaps in high school, I wasn't the biggest fan, but after that I think I grew to appreciate a day where people openly showed their affection towards the important people in their lives.

Don't get me wrong, I think that people should show their love for people year round, every day, but I think it's nice to see everyone actually taking time on Valentine's day to do that.

Sometimes, people just need a day like that to give them an opportunity that they otherwise wouldn't have seen, or been brave enough to create on their own.

Having said all of that, Valentine's Day was the last thing on my mind this year. Besides the fact that my love life (and mostly lack thereof) has been confused for some time, and blatantly uncertain, I didn't give much thought to this holiday of the heart.

And then a friend took the time to extend a dinner invitation to me. I was grateful for this gesture, and for someone who I so respect to think of me.

I was really surprised, because for so long I was used to being in the background. I was the girl vying for attention amidst so many others, being sometimes lied to and lead on along the way. And it was mostly my fault, because I let myself be that girl.

And then tonight happened, and I realized something: I forgot what it felt like to be respected as a woman. I forgot that men can be men, and can take a girl out, and honestly have conversation, listen, speak, and enjoy time spent together.

I didn't have to worry about the way I looked, or if he was going to try anything, or if I would be put in a situation I didn't really want to be in.

I remembered that when women feel loved (as friends, girlfriends, daughters, sisters, etc.), they are so willing to react with respect. And to see the way my friend loves me as a friend only spurred me on to respect him more as a brother in Christ.

God is teaching me that I don't need to give away pieces of my heart, body, or anything else in order to find favor or love from men, because guys who are truly seeking after God are only after what is holy, and not what is “hot.”

God is showing me that I am to be faithful to Him, and that there are people who see that and are drawn to it. I want to be the woman who draws people in with my obvious affection for the God that created me, because I know if Christ draws these people in, then anything can be built upon that solid of a foundation.

Friendship. Love. Anything.


In Christ,

Lilia



No comments:

Post a Comment