Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 103: Your Something = Someone Else's Everything

Yesterday, I talked with a friend about sacrifice. What it means to sacrifice, how we sacrifice, and what we are willing to sacrifice for any given thing. My friend was torn because he felt he was ready to sacrifice anything and everything, but was worried if it would be worth anything.

Worried, essentially, if it would be productive.

I didn't really take any time to think through my response, as I blurted out that it doesn't matter what we think is productive.

I immediately apologized because, although I felt like my thoughts were correct, I didn't mean for them to fly out of my mouth so quickly.

I was relieved when he shared my sentiment, for the most part.

I think, so often, that we base our decisions off of what we feel will be beneficial. In my life, I gauged a lot of my moves in life on whether or not I deemed the payout to be worthy, both to myself and those around me.

Yes, I could volunteer here, but if I can't be there every Sunday then what's the point?
Yes, I could give that homeless man food, but if I'm not here consistently than how would that benefit him?
Of course I could pray for my friend, but if they are not going to listen then what is the point?

So many times, I discounted furthering the kingdom because I thought it wasn't worthy.

I didn't think that any of my time would be valuable if I couldn't give all of it.
I didn't think that a sandwich would make the world of a difference to a man who probably hadn't eaten the entire day.
I didn't think that God could change the heart of a wayward friend of mine.

I limited God in the most severe of ways.

What God has taught me is that He will bless whatever I give. Now, that's not to say that I/you shouldn't fully commit to something, or that commitment isn't needed, because it definitely is when you are a part of a ministry.

But I am saying that doing something is better than nothing, because your something could be someone else's everything.

I didn't give God enough credit, or even acknowledge that he could take whatever I was ready to give and sacrifice and bless it. I didn't even give Him a chance.

He is teaching me to be wiser than that, to fully submit to Him in trust that He will produce great things through my sacrifice...even if I can't see them myself.

In Christ,


Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment