Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 89: Make Time To Pray

Back in the day, I had a prayer board.

It was a sad, small thing. I made it out of cork board, and used pushpins to secure tiny pieces of paper with prayer requests on them. On the paper, names were written to remind me who that specific prayer was for.

It started out with the best intentions, then slowly fizzled. It just didn't seem like it was enough. If that small board represented my prayer life, it certainly wasn't in good shape.

Lately, I've been getting crafty...so naturally, I decided to make myself another prayer board. But, this time, I opted for something larger. Something that would help my frazzled self to remember to bring everything to God in prayer and petition.

So I made a chalkboard.

And on this large canvas, I chalked up names and thoughts to pray for. It's so big that I can't forget, and I can't run from praying for everything on there. It's no secret that my prayer life is my biggest struggle, and I'm hoping this will help.

I don't really know why I'm writing about this, but I think it is because I want to draw attention to the fact that we do have a choice in what we make a priority in life. Naturally, I make everything else a priority.

But prayer? Sadly, that is usually not on my list of what I love to do.

Is it because I hate praying? Not really; mostly, it's because I feel so inadequate while doing so.

I want to encourage all of you to pray without ceasing, as we are called to do. But, most importantly, make time for it. Like any other time you spend with God, treat it with respect and value it. Cherish the moments that you take to speak to Jesus.

You don't need a fancy prayer board, or anything really, but if that's what you need, do it. I needed something to stare at me every day to remind me that I need to spend time with God in prayer.

In the psalm of the day, psalm 17, prayer was also discussed, as David says: “I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.” Psalm 17:6

Pray.

And as you pray, believe that God not only hears you, but will answer you.


In Christ,

Lilia





No comments:

Post a Comment