Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 31: Forgive, Love, Pray...For Your Enemies


God speaks in monumental ways. Sometimes his wisdom springs from the mouth of babes, sometimes from prophets, and many times through those He has called to shepherd his flock.

Today, John Mark spoke again on the sermon on the mount, as we move through our salt & light series. We focused on Matthew 5: 38-48 when the law is discussed and Jesus' perfect interpretation is given.

The center of the entire sermon was forgiveness, and how it is good to love your enemy, forget about the transgression, move on, and abandon yourself to the Father.

It wasn't until we were going to take the time to pray for our enemies that I realized something crazy about my life: I don't really have any enemies.

Sure, I have people that have hurt me, and those who I have probably hurt.

But enemies? Nope, can't think of any.

Now, if you would've asked me when I was in high school, the story may have been different. But this is what God does! He creates a clean heart that desires to know people and to LOVE people. A desire to leave people with a sweet aroma of Jesus after you leave their company. An honest desire to speak truth and love into people's lives.

I know that God has changed this in my life. He has removed my natural instinct to perhaps not be nice, or to be callous towards others, and replaced it with his desire to be peaceable with everyone.

Praise God!

This was such a simple realization, but so huge at the same time. I realized that He freed, and has kept me free, of the bondage of having an enemy, and the vast amount of energy that is consumed by something like that.

However, after realizing this...I thought about what upset me, and found out that although they are not “my” enemies, per say, that there were still some movements that I didn't believe were necessarily good. And so I prayed, with a couple sisters, for Occupy Portland and for what their wayward actions were doing. We prayed that they would articulate their vision better, and would uphold the same respect for our city and people as they are asking for themselves. And in all of this, we remembered that when Jesus called us to pray for our enemies, He wasn't calling us to pray that they get hurt, or that they would be destroyed by God.

He honestly desired that we would pray FOR them, and their well-being, that we would pray LOVE and TRUTH into their lives.

And so, I encourage you to do what God has taught me, and all of us through today's message. Forgive your enemies, pray for your enemies, and love your enemies.

And if you're like me, and don't have any specific enemies by the grace of God, find out what is bothering you in the world (like Occupy Portland) has been for me, just because it's so close to home, and pray for those people. Pray for their well-being, for their good, and most importantly that they would come to know the Lord and the plan He has for them.

Turn people from enemies to children of God. He has called us all to do that in any way we can. Let's hear, listen, and do.


In Christ,




Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment