Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 17: Sin IS Sin, but God IS Good

At church today, we talked about making things right. We talked about the responsibility that comes with following Christ, which is to forgive people for their offenses, and seek to gain forgiveness for our own wrongdoings.

Jose preached out of Matthew 5, in our series called Salt & Light, which is an in-depth study of the sermon on the mount. We focused verses 20-26. I've broken them up into smaller pieces in order to effectively share what we discussed...

For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Wow! This is huge...when I first heard this piece of scripture years ago, I was shocked. How would I enter the kingdom of heaven, I thought...especially as a new believer? I knew nothing and was uncomfortable at the expectation that Jesus portrays here. However, within the context of the situation, Jesus is calling the righteousness of the Pharisees and teachers of the law into the light. When we examine the way that these men were living at Jesus' time, it is obvious that they were slaves to the law, and loved upholding the letter of the law without necessarily adhering to the spirit of the law that Christ makes obvious as Matthew's gospel continues. This is what Jesus is getting at...He's really looking to see if our righteousness comes from our own hearts or the heart of God...

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. 

Here, Jesus gives the first example of how His commands go deeper than the face value that the Pharisees and teachers of the law took them to be. Although the obvious command not to kill is imperative, Jesus goes further to say that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgement. That's right...here Jesus is saying that a murderer and someone who is angry will both be subject to judgement. WHOA. If that doesn't rock your world, I don't know what will...but God is clear in showing here that sin IS sin. It's entirely difficult for us to realize the ground breaking realization here...there are no levels of sin...no thinking that we are okay because we are not caught in a specific sin, or in a “really bad” sin. Sin is the same to God, and Jesus makes it clear in this illustration of murder vs. anger, and in his next example...

Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell. “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. 

Jesus continues with this example of insulting a brother or sister, and calling them a fool. Both of these actions will cause someone to be in danger of the fire of hell. Jesus is serious in this, going so far as to make sure before any offerings or gifts are made to God, people must be right with each other. God is so quick to make sure that we have sound minds and hearts, that are in good standing with everyone, before bringing gifts before Him. It is this expectation that sometimes proves difficult. I know, for me, that I seem to want to throw everything at God, and to have Him make other people apologize for what they've done to me. It is rare that I am willing to go out of my way to make amends with people...especially if they have done wrong to me.

However, God has taught me lately that I am called to do this, whether I want to or not. And He has truly blessed me in this area. I have been able to come to terms with what a few people have done to me, or how they have negatively impacted my life, and have been given peace from the Lord about those situations.

And, in the last part of the verses we discussed, Jesus reminds us not only to make matters right with each other, but to do so quickly. By doing this, it restores fellowship and removes judgement from both people involved. God knows that once we are trapped in a prison, so to speak, after doing wrong to someone, it may take forever (and everything we have) to survive the judgement and punishment.

Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

I know that this sounds hard...and trust me, it is. But if God is teaching me anything, it's that these things are possible. It is possible to forgive someone, quickly, and to share this forgiveness with them before coming before the Lord with gifts and offerings.

How do I know? I've done it....through Him, the source of all wisdom and strength.


In Christ,




Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment