Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 149: Child

To us a child is born...” Isaiah 9:6
For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song.” Zephaniah 3:17

When I was in Haiti, I remember one of the young girls asking a very specific question: “why do you love children?”

At first, I was taken aback; I was shocked that this girl was actually asking us why we loved children, as if she needed proof It wasn't a question asked in an accusing way, but with genuine wonder. My immediate response is because Jesus does, and tells us to, because I couldn't quite articulate a response. But, one of the other gals with me was so on point when she reminded the girl, and the rest of us, that Jesus called us to have faith like all of them, like little children..and that is why we love children, because Jesus did AND because He called us to live with child like faith.

This faith is pure, and not worried with the anxieties of the world.

When I think through the names of God, “child” always makes me think because I rarely contemplate God as coming to us as anyone younger than the Jesus we know. But He did. Bound in human flesh, He came, for us...and He calls us to have faith like children, like the child that He came to us as.

In all of the things I am feeling in my mind and heart, I have to remind myself that I need to love Jesus like a child would. I need to see Him as a Father, not as a God who is constantly waiting for me to do better, but as one who loves unconditionally.

In Christ,

Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment