Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 26: A Most Unlikely Encourager


This morning started out terribly.

On my way to work, some random guy yelled at me because of something in traffic that was not my fault. This is where I say that I smiled and drove on, shining the radiant light of Jesus in me.

And then this is where I tell you the truth, that instead of doing that I shouted “you idiot!” back at him.

Oops.

This is my natural instinct. How sad, right?

Immediately after it happened, I was so upset that I told God right then and there that I wasn't apologizing. Why should I apologize for another person's wrong? It's not my fault, it's not MY fault!

And here I sit, thinking, nothing was Jesus' fault, but here I am...SAVED.

Oh grace, what a beautiful thing.

I tell this story because it is the opposite of what I want to be, and really the opposite of what I have been these past few months. Lately, and mostly after my trip back from Haiti, I have been trying desperately to be an encourager. I have looked at God's word and what I, as a woman, am called to. Encouragement is one of those things.

I am not naturally inclined to this, necessarily. It is natural for me to encourage children, and of course teenagers, when I teach them.

But this kind of encouragement was to anyone I came across. Sure, I am definitely called to encourage and esteem brothers and sisters, but of course being an encourager should be something that reaches everyone I come into contact with.

God is the ultimate encourager, and He is teaching me that I can be like Him in that way.
My heart is what needs to change, and at the very root, I need to think of others before I think of myself.

I need to encourage in good times, and in bad.

I need to encourage the happy, and sad....the drivers who love me, and the drivers who hate and yell at me.

It's not always going to be easy, but then again, walking with the Lord isn't always easy.

But it's good. Oh, it's GOOD!


In Christ,



Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment