Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 8: Work is Good

Today was a long work day. I started at 10:45 and ended at 7:30. It was almost non-stop for the entire time I was there...AND I wore heels, silly me! Amidst the chaos that is retail, and the stress that started to weigh me down, I found myself satisfied after a day's work. Yes, I was tired, but there was a sense of accomplishment.

It reminded me that work is good, which is something that God has been teaching me...perhaps not overtly, but through my recent experiences.

In Genesis 3, after the fall, God curses the ground which Adam works:

“Cursed is the ground because of you;
through painful toil you will eat food from it
all the days of your life.
It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.” Genesis 3: 17-19

Clearly it refers to only the ground, but I've heard many times that some take from this that God is cursing work, which is simply not true. God created work before the fall, to give Adam (and eventually, Eve) purpose:

"The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it." Genesis 2: 15

God created work as a good thing, along with the rest of His creation. And, He is showing me that even if I'm not happy with the work that I am doing, He is doing something through me and my work to glorify His kingdom.

I'm glad He knows what He's doing :)

In Christ,



Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment