Sunday, October 30, 2011

Day 10: Our God is Greater

 
I just watched Paranormal Activity 3...and it was scary!

I will admit, I am a lightweight when it comes to scary movies, but I think I like this movie so much because it is so normal, if that's the right word. I guess I mean that this movie doesn't rely on blood and gore, but is genuinely frightening mostly because of its suspense. It also relies on something we don't see causing a ruckus, as opposed to some homicidal maniac with a knife and some traumatic childhood, which caused them to be that way.

Of course, after watching this movie, I started thinking about demon possession. Some that I talk to are quick to write this type of thing off, and usually most Christians that I interact with are quick to ignore this kind of stuff, chalking it up to the fact that God is stronger and overcomes. And they are absolutely right in the fact that God is stronger, and in the end is victorious.

However, it needs to be recognized that spiritual warfare is real. The devil is real.

I think it's important to know your adversary, and to recognize his character: the devil is a liar, and like a lion seeking to devour. Many times, I know I make the devil out to be some weak person, but then I look at my life and see how, through my sin, I fall into his schemes time and time again.

Thank God for the gospel and the good news!

Jesus' authority is superior to the devil, and to his demons. All over the gospels, stories are scattered about Jesus driving out demons, and how his authority is supreme. My favorite story about Jesus ridding a man of some demonic presence is found in both Luke and Mark's gospels; it is the story about Jesus casting the demons into swine, and the swine drowning themselves.

The crazy part about this story is that Jesus is so powerful that He was able to rid this man of not only one demon, but a legion of them that resided within him. And not only was He powerful enough to drive them out, but He was strong enough to send them into swine and into the sea.

So, after watching a movie like Paranormal Activity 3, I am reminded that evil exists, and is real in our world. I am reminded that spiritual warfare is happening even if we aren't aware. But most importantly, I am reminded the Jesus overcomes and that all demons are subject to His authority.

And so in Him I put my comfort.


In Christ,



Lilia

No comments:

Post a Comment